Spring has sprung and March is officially half way over. Studies show that by now, 85% of people who started a new fitness program or new year's resolution to exercise have already quit or dropped out. For those of you who are still going strong, consistent and making fitness part of your lifestyle vs. a short term goal, here are my Top 5 Tips to get through this week of March festivities & celebrations - St. Patty's Day and the beginning of NCAA March Madness:
- Schedule your exercise around this week's festivities and prioritize it just like any other important appointment or commitment. Consider getting up earlier to knock out a quick 10-20 minutes before work/school or grab a quick workout on your lunch hour if you know you'll have after work celebrations or activities. Remember the rule of thumb to try not to let two consecutive days go by without exercising, so you don't slip out of the habit of regular, consistent exercise (including playing sports, walking & spending time being active).
- Plan Your Meals and Snacks for the Week & around your events and festivities.
- Identify ways to "clean up" and modify your food & drinks when dining out.
- Enjoy a healthy snack before your celebration so you're not famished and more prone to make an unhealthy choice.
- Hydrate, Hydrate - Remember to drink up the water and refill your water throughout the day. If consuming alcohol, try to keep it to no more than 2 drinks per outing and drink water in between and after.
It's really back to basics when more challenging to stay on track when faced with celebrations & festivities where food and drinks are part of the main event!
Have fun and remember, "Nothing Tastes As Good As Being Fit and Healthy Feels!