This week is World Glaucoma Week (March 10-16th), so let's take a "look" at how we can help preserve our vision with proper diet and nutrition. Are you surprised that vision health is just another reason to eat healthy & exercise?
Glaucoma is a leading cause of blindness in adults and is known as the silent eye disease since it happens over time and is painless until the permanent damage starts to occur. As with most other serious health issues, such as heart disease, we often don't know our eyes are "sick" until it's too late.
Wellness Prevention for Glaucoma embodies many of the basics for overall health:
- Exercise and Stress Reduction (from exercise)
- Meditation - to relax the body and reduce stress
- Green Tea - to help the retia ad aqueous humor absorb the antioxidants in green tea
- Vitamins A, C, E (all high in antioxidants) and Vitamin B Complex which also helps protect the eyes (seeds, nuts, fresh fruits and veggies)
- Carrots (Beta-Carotene) and Dark Green Leafy Veggies (spinach, kale, broccoli)
- Low Caffeine Intake
- Schedule Regular Comprehensive Eye Exams (prevention!)
As someone in their early 40's who has come to the realization that the "readers" I have become reliant on to see and read close up - whether I'm on the computer, reading a book or even my phone - probably need replaced with" big girl" prescription glasses, I am inspired by this knowledge to add an extra dose of each of the above to preserve my vision so I can not only see when I'm older but so I can read to my future grandchildren!
So, here's to nourishing our vision and seeing the difference an healthy lifestyle can make!