Although some research suggests drinking alcohol in moderation may have a number of health benefits, experts say drinking too much can harm your health. As part of creating a lifestyle of health and wellness, if you do choose to drink even the occasional alcoholic drink, here are a few tips to keep it in check and not let it ruin your health, your overall welness or your waistline:
- Save It For The Weekend - regular drinking during the week ultimately creates a lifestyle of more than "moderate drinking". Keeping it "Clean" during the week with clean eating and drinking creates a sustainable lifestyle of health and wellness (and weight loss and maintenance)
- Aim for no more than 2 drinks per outing.
- Alternate alcoholic drinks with a glass of water and be sure to drink a glass or two of water after alcohol consumption.
- Eat! Be sure not to drink on an empty stomach.
- Monitor how you feel - energy level, productivity, ability to choose healthy foods and exercise the day after drinking more than 1 drink and ask yourself if it was worth it.
- Remember that drinking extra calories via alcohol which is usually made up excess sugar and unhealthy carbs promotes weight gain.
- Find a new way to celebrate "Happy Hour" by getting together with friends for a walk, jog, bike ride, basketball game, or an exercise class.
- If you are trying to lose weight - step away from alcohol or limit to 1 -2 on the weekend.
- Enjoy the occasional glass of wine, beer or cocktail as part of a balanced lifestyle and not as a main part of your lifestyle.